News and Announcements
2015 General Election Ballots for
Franklin East Celina School District
Franklin East New
Bremen School District
Franklin East Marion
Village of Montezuma
Franklin West Celina
Franklin West Marion
Coldwater School District
Franklin West St.
Henry School District
Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2015. The polling location
for Franklin Township is the Franklin Township Building, located at 6805
State Route 219. Polls are open 6:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m.
History of Franklin Township
Franklin Township covers (22) twenty-two square miles and is bordered by
the irregular shoreline of Grand Lake, once known as the Grand Reservoir,
to the north. Its east borderline is Auglaize County, with the west border
Butler Township and the south border Marion Township. It is approximately
(6) six miles in length, stretching from State Route 127 on the west to
The Auglaize/Mercer County line. It covers nearly (3 1/2) three and
one-half miles from its northern most boundary to its southern most
The township was organized December 7, 1841 with the first elections held
on Christmas Eve 1841. The first settlers to Franklin Township were
Stephen Sprague, Abraham and John Miller, and the Lacey, Beauchamp, and
Johnson families. The Botkin family settled on the Big Chickasaw Creek.
Other early settlers to the township were William Winter, the Ballinger,
Bennett, Brandon, Long Preston, McGee, Buxton, Selby, Dabbelt, Dammeyer,
Burdges, and Trim families. Isaac Ellis, another early settler, was the
chief fur buyer in this part of the country. Descendents of these early
settlers still reside in the township and the county.
At the time of settlement, the Big and Little Chickasaw Indian tribes
occupied the township. Two township streams currently bear their names.
The citizens of the township and the Indians lived peaceably. The Indians
never gave settlers cause for alarm. They lived along side one another for
This township was, and continues to be, one of the county's best farming
districts. Grains were the crops of choice. From the beginning of
settlement, the residents of the township belonged to the important Mercer
County fair board.